Monday, July 14, 2008

Evolution into a runner continues....

It's a slow evolution, but I amaze myself when I do runner-centric things.

In getting ready for my trip to Alaska, I'm packing running shirts as everyday shirts. I could pack the plain one (solid color), but am picking ones with the names of the various running groups or races I've done. Partially to show off that I run & partially Texas ego. But I am thinking of myself more and more as a runner.

Last night I spent about two hours planning out routes to run in Anchorage. (I did this when I went to New Braunfels too.) For this trip, I have three different routes planned, so no matter what I have a backup. (And am prepared to run in the rain & cold.) Running through Anchorage is one of the things I'm most looking forward to on the trip! Crazy, huh?!?

I'll be in Anchorage from Wednesday night 7/16 through early Monday morning 7/21 and am planning on a long (6-8 mile) run on Wednesday, about 2 miles on Thursday morning and 4 miles or so on Sunday!
The next week (Monday 7/21 through Sunday 7/27) I'll be off in Denali National Park, Tangle lakes and Matnuska Glacier and will have limited luggage, so chances are the running shoes won't make the cut. I'll be doing a lot of hiking, paddling and climbing. So I'll still be active, just not running.


And I'm planning this running because I want to, not because I have to --
WOW!

But no, I will not be running on top of Alaskan mountains.
I will be hiking them, though. (And had my dr. call in a perscription for altitude medicine.)

3 comments:

E said...

Have a great trip! Can't wait to see pics and hear all about it!

Viv said...

I hope you are having a marvelous time!!

Unknown said...

Wow you definitely kick some booty! Sounds like a beautiful and energizing trip!