Monday, February 27, 2012

Run For Wellness 5K -- FREE!!!

On Sunday I ventured out of the safety of the loop, 22 miles into the 'burbs, to run the dreaded 5K distance. What could make me do this? A straight, single & clean man could have (HA!), but alas that was not the reason -- the reason was it was FREE.

This is a new series that will be the last Sunday of each month at George Bush Park. And the price will be my favorite price of FREE.

It's bib-timed with pace callers along the course (3, I think) and we were e-mailed results a few hours later. It's supported with a water stop at 1.55 mile turnaround. Fluids and breakfast tacos at the end! There was someone taking pictures of us and they were included in the results e-mail (some of them included with this report - no charge!). They even did door prizes (I didn't win - free burrito at Mission), the winners received free meal certificates or Luke's gift cards. Did I mention it was FREE?!
One of the runners brought bagels for everyone also.
What a deal!!

The location was easy to find following the directions on the website/facebook. There wasn't a sign when you entered the park, but as we were the only people there at that time (registration 7:45, race time 8 am) it was very easy to see where the group was located - there was a pop-up canopy tent for registration.

Although they did a practice event last month, this was being considered the first event. Unlike most inaugural events, this one didn't seem to have any kinks.

Registration was quick and simple (signed a waiver and then a log with your bib number). They had a banner with a start/finish sign marking the start/finish line. There were a few announcements, acknowledging the sponsors and explaining the simple course and I think we started on time. Can't remember if they did the National Anthem - that might be their only kink :)

There were about 50 runners and walkers that participated.
Very friendly, talkative group! The youngest runner was 8 and there were others in their 60s (maybe even 70s). Alysa Graves came out - you can see her behind me in the picture to the right. This would be the only time I was in front of her!

The route was an out and back along a winding path. A couple of bridges were at the beginning (which felt like a hill on the return!). There were a few bicyclers out that day, but they did not pose any traffic issues - they all called out 'On your left' as they passed. Congestion along the route was never an issue after we cleared the start line.

The course/park are really pretty. I stayed and did an additional 5 miles after the 5K.

Had a really enjoyable time talking to the other runners as I passed them or they passed me. I really hope 'grey shirt guy' and 'iPhone music lady' come back next month -- it was a race to the finish with them! And I won :)

Being a slower runner & preferring the long distance slow & steady runs, I have scoffed at doing 5Ks for quite a while and not even sure when the last time I did one was. It actually felt really good to go out and do one for a change! I was quite pleased with my finish time of 33:03 especially considering I had run 19 miles the day prior! I told grey shirt guy (Ben, I think he said) to watch out next month when we have a rematch and I have fresher legs :)

The weather was absolutely beautiful, making the event near perfect (would have been more perfect if it didn't involve a 44 mile round trip drive!)

I'm going to plan on making the trek out the last Sunday of every month to see how my times compare over the year. Hope the event is successful, but also like it just the way it was, being small.

More info at The Houston Wellness Project or on their Facebook Page

2 comments:

Steeeve said...

Anna, thanks for the observant feedback. It's been an interesting experience putting on a cost-busters race, but we're pleased with how it's coming together.

Yes, we do indeed have signs at the entrance and also had a greeter waving a sign. (Later she was the lead cyclist; we're like the stage show in which everyone has multiple roles.) However, I appreciate they're teensy when whizzing by at 50 mph so will give that some further thought. I agree the directions are dead simple but we had lost souls driving up and down Westheimer Pky in January looking for us :-(

No Star Spangled Banner. We generally will in the future - Other Brother is a sponsor when he's available. Otherwise, we don't have a sound system (other than old rock tunes blasting from my car - did you here them?) but I could bring a boom box. Again, will need to give that more thought...Cheers, Steve

AnnaBanana said...

Oh yes - I heard you talking to someone about being a greater, I was there before that. Didn't notice the signs when I was driving at all - I remember seeing some later along the course & they would be hard to notice driving.

LOVE the Other Brother! (Peter, right?)

We did hear the music coming from the car & enjoyed it :) Couldn't hear it in the pre/post race area, but when we went back to the cars.

Great event! Thanks for having it!!

Wahoo!
Anna