Friday, August 15, 2008

Speed training, Fartleks & Orienteering

run, Run, RUN

This speed stuff isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Tuesday the track workout was a bit intemeditating. Luckily I recognized one of my back-of-the-pack half-marathoners that told me we usually divide up from the full group. Whew! There were only about 6 of us halfers there (and about 40 in the other group). I did have a hard time running all-out (which is still rather slow) ALL the way around the track, trying to stay at the same pace. My running buddy kept me encouraged and I made it. Our slow jogs were actually walks. We got all 6 sets in - earlier I had e-mailed with the head coach that gave me an out saying I may only do 4 sets. At the end there was a mix of pride that I did it, but disappointment that I felt I did it rather poorly. (My fasts were the same as others slows - sometimes I was even slower than them.)

Wednesday I was feeling good from doing the track workout that I decided to through some fartlek-ing into my normal easy run. (All my runs thus far have been easy. I have two speeds - slow and stop.) It was fun! I would run all-out to a light pole, then walk to the next, etc. I know I probably wasn't doing this totally right. But hey, "fartlek" means speed play and I was speedy and playing! I did do too much and had to walk home instead of jog.

Thursday was the monthly Social-O, so that was once again some speed work in between stopping to find the controls. At the end I did a mini-hill so I could mentally pat myself on the back for hill work too.

Today is rest day -- yea!!

Tomorrow is NINE miles bright and early at 5:45 am.....

2 comments:

Viv said...

I am here resting as best as I can too. LOL! WTG with the track workouts that is so awesome Anna! Still giglling at fartleks..

E said...

Good luck on your 9 miler!