Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Weekend wrap-up

I love, Love, LOVE backpacking Lake Georgetown w/ Houston Sierra Club. It's a once a year trip that I've done five times.


The trail is a bit challenging in parts, but it's just 11 miles total, 6 1/2 the first day and 4 1/2 the second. So you end up at camp about 2:30 with pleanty of time to goof off and, like this year, EAT.
I gained about 2 pounds on this trip!
  • queso - velveeta & rotel is heaven in a pan
  • ham, cheese & cracker tray
  • bisquick sausage cheese balls (I LOVE those!)
  • stove top with turkey spam, cranberries & pecans
  • chili mac (minus the ground beef - funny story)
  • oatmeal raisin walnut cookies
  • raspberry crumble

And I did get to try Oatmeal ala Cara, which is great -- can't believe I never mixed trail mix into my oatmeal before - it's great!

Pictures from the trip are on fotki.

Monday was spent returning my poorly designed REI Roadster tent to REI for their new Quarter Dome T1, so now I'm anxious to get back out on the trails again! I'm going to miss my funny looking little Roadster, but this new tent is free-standing, super quick to put up and (cross your fingers) not supposed to leak! (I had to bail out of the Roadster on Friday night which had over an inch and a half of water.)


Tonight back to running...I think I will even if it's raining. Yikes - I'm becoming hardcore! Next thing ya know I'll be a triathlete like Viv (if I learn to ride a bike....)

PS -- I had a Cliff Shot gel in Razz(berry) on Sunday for the first time. Tasted like ketchup. Now, I do like ketchup quite a bit. But not in the middle of a hike with no fries (etc) in sight. It was just wrong. I had a vanilla one before & it was fine. Even thought I really like the cute packaging, I'm going back to Gu.

6 comments:

Timmy said...

There is an old New Balance ad that shows a lone runner running in the rain. The caption says, "When does a jogger become a runner? On days like today."

PS I was told one time that I am not a runner because I have never vomitted while running. I haven't upchucked since I was 6 years old and it was after eating a tin full of Rice Krispy Bars. Hence, I haven't had a Rice Krispy Bar in 40 years.

E said...

Glad to hear you had a great time this weekend. Have fun on your run tonight. You are already hard core!

zhsy00001 said...

That looks like fun. I like camping, but I like camping with more stuff. It is more like a trailer load of crap camping. Tents are hard. The ones that last are difficult to put up and transport. The one's that go up easy fall down or leak. Things have gotten so much better since I was a kid.

I think I'll save up my camping wants for Faire.

I'm glad y'll had a time.

Viv said...

Looks like a great trip except for that tent, and I know nothin' bout camping! Have fun with your run tonight!! It looks terrible out here pitch black and thunder so I hope it is holding out for you inside the loop. Thanks for the triathlete comment. My frined called me that today and it made me all giddy..LOL!
I hope to make it to PIM tomorrow so we can see each other :-)

I tried shot blocks pina colada this weekend..yummy!

Unknown said...

I am glad you liked the oatmeal! Woo hoo!

Also I found out yesterday that I will be moving closer to your area pretty soon, in Austin. Woo hoo! I can't write about it in the blog though in case the co-workers read it.

Timmy said...

Hey...I don't have an email address for you so I wanted to make sure that you know to RSVP for Party Animals. The info is in the link. See you on Saturday!