Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm a strider

I just signed up with Houston Striders.

Not sure if they're much better/worse than any of the plethora of other running groups in Houston, but I've heard of them for a long time, they seem to have some slow folks (like me) and they have free food at their meetings! I think they were the ones that originally developed our beloved Power In Motion training group.

I went to their meeting at Chatters on Tuesday. They didn't seem real welcoming to new people. I stood around by myself for a while, talked to one nice younger lady but then went and sat by an older lady where there was an extra seat and she wasn't too friendly. No one seemed to be approaching new people and there wasn't any sort of a welcome table. If my friend Doreen wasn't coming, I may have bailed.

Once Doreen got there I had someone to talk to & then it got better.
There was a (FREE!) buffet -- greek-type salad, bread, 2 kinds of penne pasta with vegetables (alfredo or marinara)and roasted chicken breast with tea or water. (We had wondered about food & I figured it was order off the menu & separate checks. Doreen had thought maybe munchies.)
We went through the buffet line and sat at a 4 person table. The two guys that came and sat with us were both really nice, then they left and two ladies came that were both new also, so it was better then.
A lady spoke on the training programs that they are setting up and reformulating & it was a really good talk. We both took notes! The lady really knew her stuff & I learned a thing or two (or ten). I don't think I'll join up with their marathon training program (still want to do Houston Fit), but can run with the Striders during the week. They run at both Memorial and Terry Hershey (JD -- that's out near Katy....)

Oh yeah -- the Striders are the ones that sponsor the Houston Half in November and at the end of the meeting gave away the extra singlets. I got two!

So I figure my free meal and two singlets somewhat offset the $22.20 I just spent to join up.
(And maybe now I'll be fired up to run some more....)

5 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

Welcome to the Striders!! I believe I sat right behind you at the meeting...

I used to bring name tags to the meetings and have a "conversation starter" question but it wasn't supported by the people in charge and I got the idea that they felt it wasn't needed or was a bother or something so I quit doing it.

I'm sorry I didn't know you were new or I would've been more welcoming. They don't introduce new people until it's almost too late to get to talk to you!

Anyhow, I'm sure you will find us a very welcoming and FUN group... we love our Strider-buds!!!

Steeeve said...

Anna,

Welcome back. You joined previously on 12/6/2001 for 2002.

There's free food every month on the Strider calendar except for September when there's discounted Astros tickets. Details on the social calendar on www.houstonstriders.org.

Steve Shepard

AnnaBanana said...

Dang -- how'd you Striders track me down so fast??

Pony, I think you were behind me. Tonya, that was next to me, is a new memeber, but the other 3 of us at the table were guests. I know most people don't like name tags, but I do! Just a table with a sign on it for guests to have someone to talk to & possibly introduce to a couple of people would be nice.

Steve! I remember you from PIM! So now I know Fall 2001 and Spring 2002 was when I did PIM previously. (I just did Fall 2007 & Spring 2008)
Back in 2001/2002 I tried to like running, but never did. You may recall I sent an e-mail to you, Amy Benedict & Andrea Chan about 2 years later saying that I decided I hate running and don't do it anymore, but still think of all your great coaching & the tips & encouragement you gave when working out in the gym.

Well apparently the seeds y'all planted finally took root, because as you can tell, I'm back to trying to be a runner (actually, I'm proud to call myself a jogger).
Glad we're back in touch!

Wahoo!
Anna

Steeeve said...

Unfortunately my PIM rosters are on diskette and I don't have a disk drive at work or I would have tracked that down, too :-)

Haven't heard from Amy in a while, believe motherhood is top priority these days. Andrea remains a tour-de-force.

Delighted you've made your peace with running, the benefits are enormous.

Viv said...

Congrats on joining a group Anna. Once they get to know you they will love ya!!

I have met a few striders through blogs and they all seem like pretty cool peeps. I also volunteered at that 1/2 last year and they made me feel really welcome.

I joined the tri club out here and none of the girls talked to me :-(

OK nuff bout me. Have fun with the group!! See they are here already.