Friday, May 23, 2008

Response to Steeeve & I like being a penguin!

This started out as a response to Steve's comment on the last post, but then it got so wordy and morphed into an "it's cool to be slow" message that I thought it was worth of being it's own post.....

Oh Steve -- I think your WAY underestimateing the "power" of PIM. I know quite a few people that are returning to PIM now that had previously done it several years ago (like me). In fact, I had to convince 2 people that Jack and you are not the same person (big compliment to you both - you both are awesome!)

Although it may seem like people are dropping out forever, the things learned and experienced in PIM stays with folks.

Remember I sent that e-mail to you, Amy & Andrea about 2 years after I did PIM thanking you for being such great inspiration and that I think of you doing non-running activities. Even thought I wasn't running, you were still a great influence on me! [Note: I located that e-mail and attached is as the next post.]

PIM, and a lot of the other running groups, put a really big emphasis on speed. Doreen & I went to that first Strider's meeting partially because when someone from the Striders spoke at PIM they acknowledged the slow people.

I'm not fast.
I'm not going to be fast.
I don't really even care to be fast.
I'm okay with that.

But it did take a couple of years to come to terms with that.

I have to find my own glory when finishing after others have finished, hydrated, cooled off, eaten, stretched and sometimes left.

In Houston Fit, I realized that I can go the distance with out being fast. And I really prefer longer, slower runs. I don't want to do speed work, it hurts my knees and I get no pleasure from doing it. I refuse to do an indian line, ever.

5Ks are a big turn off to me since I am slower. I'm not out there for speed. I don't want to run at "5K pace." I want to jog along in my own little groove. That's where I find happiness.

I really don't have much incentive to do 5Ks. They are rather embarrassing for me since I finish near the end. I already have plenty of cotton t-shirts (I'm planning on making them into an art car!), goodie bags for 5Ks have been disappointing after seeing 1/2 marathon's swag (esp. Seabrook!), there's usually not much food left for the slow folks and of course no awards for the slowpokes.

And then everyone wants to know your time.

Hey -- I don't ask you how much money you make, don't ask me how fast/slow I run!
You run for time, I'll run for fun!

However... the Race for the Pennant does give game tickets & it's hard for me to pass up a good discount. But that's the first day of Houston Fit fall 1/2 marathon training. It's a toss-up....

Now that I realized that I'm okay with being in the back of the pack, I'll keep chugging along at my happy little pace.

So many people that are into running scoff at joggers, but I'm perfectly happy jogging along at my own little pace... Whether it's with a group or solo.

*The miracle isn't that I finished, but that I had the courage to start*

That quote takes me back to the PIM influence -- Amy Benedict (the best PIM coach ever!) told our group about John Bingham and even printed out some of his writings for us. The Penguin has been a huge influence in me having the courage to continue/come back to running. (And having a coach let us know it's fine to be slower helped.)

4 comments:

Steeeve said...

Well, there you have it!

Didn't appreciate there was a timing conflict between the Race for the Pennant and the Houston Fit Kickoff, but the good news there is if you do the race the awesome Alan Anderson will make sure you're caught up on the Houston Fit end.

Good point that 5k's are not everybody's cup of tea. If prepping for the Houston Fit kickoff gets you on the roads this weekend and next week then that works too.

Amy nailed it for so many of us, including me. It's all about eating without guilt or obsession.

I banned two words in my PIM leadership days: 1) The "B" word - use "New to Running" instead. 2) The "S" word - use "Speed-challenged in comparison to Paula Radcliffe" instead.

You've upped the ante here - you're now accountable to 6.6 billion people with web access and if that's not bad enough, there are whole bunches of Striders who watch the running blogs like trolls. Make running as a key component of a fit and healthy lifestyle a part of your Memorial Day Weekend!

Leslie F. said...

WOOHOO! Go, Anna!

Viv said...

Take a bow lil' lady! You are running and it's your run how ever you choose to do it! I love you, sweetie! I will be at that Astros 5K take a peep out for me k?

As far as PIM, if you really want to be a runner no group can make you stay or go. Coming from a PIM quiter back in 99 to a PIM graduate Fall 07. When I knew in my heart I wanted to be a runner I did not miss one session.

Have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Anna,

This spring was my first PIM session and I was an Aerobic. I plan to move up to Carbos in the fall. You hit the nail on the head. I don't care how long it takes me, just that I can finish! That's the prize for me, trying to fight my brain telling me to quit when I'm hot and thirsty and sweaty. You are an inspiration and I'm proud to be a penguin with you. I'll see you at HOuston Fit 1/2 marathon training in July.

Lindsey Bily