Saturday, May 31, 2008

I just might start liking the running *&^%#@ again!

Yea! Houston Fit started this morning -- bright and early at 6:30 am!

This is the Fall training group, so we meet at Luke's for 5 weeks before moving over to Memorial Park when the regular group starts.
I REALLY like this group:
  • it's MUCH smaller (I'd guess the 1/2 marathon group is about 40 people, for the regular session it was about 300.)
  • we should have some more interesting routes (not having to run up/down Memorial to Uptown or River Oaks. And not the dreaded Blossom street)
  • Luke's is open, so we can go inside for the restroom and to soak up some A/C!
  • They had cold paper towels waiting for us at the end of the run -- AAAHHHH (and water/gatorade to drink)
  • I know or recognize a LOT of people. About 10 PIMsters, some people from last year, and other people that just look familiar from "somewhere"
  • The 1/2 group is MUCH better organized than it was in the past. Although most of the coaches seemed to be for the fast folks and most of the folks seemed to be in the slower group.
  • We can actually hear what the head coach is saying!
  • The group seems to be very talkative.
  • Headphones are banned from all group runs (Yea!)
  • It's getting me up and on my feet and I actually liked it again!

Although I like it being small now, I'm glad we join up with the regular group later when our runs start getting longer. If I was training with a group this small, I would end up running most of the long runs solo. I need a couple of hundred people with me on 10-milers so I won't be all alone! (And I was still solo for about a 2 mile stretch on Dunleavy last year. Apparently I run at a really weird pace. According to the guys on the bikes, I was inbetween two really big groups of people.)

A good thing about getting up this early on Saturday is then I went right over to Target & was able to get a parking space in the front row & be able to shop without a crowd! I thought of going by Houston Garden Center for some more grass, but opted to go home to eat & nap instead.

Have a great weekend -- and a great run!

6 comments:

E said...

So glad to hear you had a great run. I might look into joining a running group as well. :)

Timmy said...

I was at Luke's when they opened and wondered why they had the water coolers outside. I didn't ask. Thanx for 'splaining. ;-)

J Duarte said...

I need to sign up. I didn't know Houston Fit started alreay yiked Im going to get behind.

J Duarte said...

Good Job your your first day at Houston Fit! You are off to a great start. Stick with it!

AnnaBanana said...

Javier -- this is for the Fall Marathons (including San Antonio, which I know you're doing). The "real" Houston Fit starts in July.
But we roll right on into their program when ours finishes, so we just get a one month bonus.

You should start with us! Of course, you'd be off with the fast folks, but I'd see you around the water cooler at the end!

Viv said...

I am glad the smaller group is hapenin for ya now. I remember last years stories. No headphones so talking will be going down for sure. LOL!Glad it went good for ya!