Friday, March 14, 2008

PIM e-mail -- Hot shower vs ice bath

Here's an e-mail I sent out to the people I suckered into joining my running group/training:

Hi Happy Little Runners~

Hope your all sticking to your training schedules and are starting to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after completing your workout. I rarely enjoy the beginning of a run, but the feeling after makes it worth it all.
"Why do I like to run?"
"Because it feels so good when I stop!"

Some of y'all seemed to be MIA on Wednesday....You missed a good discussion on stretching. A handout is on the PIM website.

One thing that was mentioned was taking a hot shower and then stretching on the unusual occasion when you're not able to stretch right after a run. I'm assuming she said hot to warm up your muscles. But hot showers/baths are BAD after a run.

The best thing after a long, hard run is an ICE BATH.
Luckily, y'all aren't doing the mileage yet to get you to this point. I decided to do one after the Houston 1/2 marathon & I could tell that it really, really helped. (Plus, I had a beer and burger along with me in the tub.)

Something about cold preventing the lactic acid from building up, which is what makes your legs feel heavy later. I had read a lot about it on the Houston Fit discussion board & finally decided to give it a shot & I am glad I did.
A couple of hours after my long run on Sunday (6.2miles) I took a hot bubble bath. When I went to run Tuesday (rained out on Monday) my legs felt horrible. Of course, I also have run 26 miles this month so far and only ran 2.3 the entire month of February so that probably contributed quite a bit. But the pain was weird. It wasn't until after I was looking up if any one advocates a hot shower after a run (no one does that I could find) that I connected the heavy leg feeling and the hot bath.

Proceeded with care....
And have FUN!

Wahoo!
Anna

Bonus e-mail!
I forgot to suggest in my last e-mail to keep a log of your time & distance running. (Distance may be difficult for you now, but you can guesstimate.)
I've been discouraged at some of my times lately, but looked back at what I was doing in July when I started & then I realized how far I have come. It's been a big boost!

I use the training log on RunnersWorld.com, which is free & I like a lot. There is a route section whereyou get a street map and you can plot the points you run & it calculates the mileage. It was pretty easy to learn to use.
Also, it's sometimes surprising to see how many total miles are run. I just hit 60 for the year!

Wahoo (again)!
Anna

PS - Another way to track progress is to blog. My friend Viv, who I met in PIM last Fall & am running the Seabrook 1/2 marathon relay with on Saturday has been blogging about her training (and 60 pound weight loss!). After reading her blog for a couple of months http://imnotfittorun.blogspot.com/ I started doing my own http://anna-omaly.blogspot.com/ which helps me stay motivated.

2 comments:

Viv said...

Thanks for the shoutout, running mate! I am looking forward to my first ice bath after the tri, wait it might be during the tri in Galveston Bay..LOL!

Anonymous said...

very useful info in ur posts

thanku very much for the info

http://www.bathshop321.com/cheap-shower-bath-suites-whirlpool