Friday, March 07, 2008

Starting to remember why I like this.....

I came home from work and immediately changed into my running gear, picked up a few twig-lets in the yard as I procrastinated, but then headed out for a "long" run.
I put long in quotes since 5 miles used to seem like no big deal, now it seems like a pilgrimage. And this time a trip to KFC would be my mecca.

The trip to KFC, combined with my Fear Of Viv and disappointment in myself were what got me going.

The initial mile was hell, as always. Had to take walk breaks. Did it in 12:51, though - my best mile time (HR 153 ave 169 max). Part of that is me not knowing how to pace & part is because I was cutting through Lazybrook where I had to run in the street.

The second mile I was along White Oak and kind of getting into a rythem, but still hating running. I did it in 14:36, so obviously walked more. HR 156 ave, and 168 max. Must have been way off on that pacing still!

Mile 3 was a little better feeling. I was realizing what my 5K time would be & not pleased but not too saddened either. But at the same time I was thinking if I had to run all this same distance again (like I'll have to in a week) I'm not sure if I'd make it. But I was still along White Oak all alone - in a marathon situation there will (hopefully) be spectators and all the excitement & energy of the day. I did this mile in 13:48, HR 156 ave, 168 max.

Mile 4 was coming back up through Timbergrove, so there was some breaking to cross TC Jester and Ella. It was nice to be back in the 'hood. When I've run this route before, I usually cross through Timbergrove in the beginning and then Lazybrook on the return, but I think I like this way better. The Lazybrook route is faster up to White Oak, but the Timbergrove part is more enjoyable (we have sidewalks on both sides of the street & larger front yards). This mile was in 15:40, my slowest mile and the heart rate was only averaging 144 with a max of 163. I didn't realize I had slowed THAT much! But I was wiped.

I was doing some block circling trying to hit the 5th mile, but just did .91. This part of a mile was at a 14:43 pace with a HR ave 147, max 159. I was pretty spent at this point. Even the Fear Of Viv couldn't get me to run more -- I was wanting that KFC and to just stop this craziness. I did start imaginign the disappointment of Shane - Viv's husband who will probably be at the 1/2 relay with her & will be hoping for a good time for her, which I will screw up with my waddling.

So on my 4.91 trek I did it in a total of 1:10:21, which is an average 14:19min/mile. HR ave 151 with max of 169.

Wonder how much more I can improve in seven days for the Seabrook 1/2 marathon relay??

As I finished my less-than-five-mile long run, I did have a sense of accomplishment. Although I was really tired, I felt good, slightly proud and semi-strong. Then I remembered this is why I liked running.

That evening my body really felt good. Tired, but pleasantly so. Some coach, probably PIM in the past, said that after a workout you should be pleasantly pooped, but spent. That's the feeling I had. And the mental feeling was good. I know I'm still slacking from where I want to be, but heck I just did 5 miles! That's good!

Maybe this is that so-called Runner's High, which I used to hear of but since I started running have decided it was a myth.

Back in my first PIM season, I asked my coach Amy Benedict (still the best PIM coach ever) "When does this get to be fun?" and she replied with out hesitation "When you get to stop and eat."

On the first day of Houston Fit the guy doing the intro seminar posed the question "Why do we run?" and followed it up with the answer "Because it feels SO GOOD when we stop!"


The running still sucks some, but the feeling after is really great!

2 comments:

E said...

Congrats on your 5 miler! Don't focus on the speed. The most important part is getting out there and doing it,and you did!

Viv said...

That was a 5miler! Way to get it done! shane is staying with the kiddo that day, and not that he worries about my times. We are going to have fun period :-) just at seperate times LMAO!